Ambedkar Jayanti 2022: Interesting facts about Dr B R Ambedkar
Nagpur: The architect of the Indian Constitution Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar was born on April 14, 1891 and is considered a leading nation builder of India. The world’s longest written constitution was framed by Dr B R Ambedkar, who is also called as the father of Indian Constitution.
As his birth anniversary is celebrated across the world, let’s take a look at some of the interesting facts about the father of the Indian Constitution:
1. Born on 14 April 1891, in the town and military cantonment of Mhow (now in Madhya Pradesh), which is now known as Dr.
Ambedkar Nagar now, Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar was the 14th child of his parents. His original surname was Ambawadekar, however, it was changed to Ambedkar in school by his teacher.
2. Dr. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar was born in the Mahaar caste (natives of Maharashtra) in Hindu religion. He always stood up against inhuman caste practices against Dalits and inequality among men and women. He later converted to Buddhism in 1956.
3. Dr B R Ambedkar gave place to Ashok Chakra on the Indian flag. His book ‘Waiting for a Visa,’ is now a textbook at Columbia University.
4. Dr. B R Ambedkar got married to Ramabai at the age of 14. After Ramabai’s death, he married Savita Ambedkar who belonged to a Brahmin family. She, too, later converted to Buddhism along with Dr B R Ambedkar.
5. Ambedkar studied all the religions of the world in a comparative way for nearly 21 years and had knowledge of 9 languages. He completed 8 years of studies in just 2 years 3 months at London School of Economics.
6. Dr. B R Ambedkar has the highest number of statues in the world. His first statue was built in Kolhapur in 1950 and is the only Indian whose statue is attached with Karl Marx in the London Museum.